Every woman is unique and gives birth in her own unique way.
Due to frequent travel and other commitments Uschi is currently not offering any classes in Dunedin.
Birthworks antenatal birth education is for all women, couples, single mums, those who are pregnant for the first time and those who have had previous vaginal or cesarean birth experiences (especially for those whose previous birth experience was not a positive one).
Birthworks antenatal classes will help you gain confidence and a positive perspective on your upcoming birth and parenting skills.
We provide detailed information on the process of normal birth physiology and on scientifically validated best birthing practices and postpartum care. Learning about the normal natural birthing process and what you can do to support this natural flow, will provide you with knowledge that is empowering. It will also help you to make confident choices, choices that are right for you and your baby.
Preparing for birth intellectually is not enough though. It is with the body that we birth our babies and there is a lot a mother can do to ensure the best possible outcome. Birthworks classes teach about nutrition, how to help the baby to get into optimal positioning for birth, active birthing positions and how the birth partner can provide suitable comfort measures during labour.
How the mother feels during pregnancy and labour will either hinder or support the natural flow of birth. You will learn about and practice calming breath techniques, effective relaxation techniques and positive visualisations for you to use at home. This will help create inner harmony and build strong connections between body, mind and spirit. You will be able to use these tools to remain calm and confident during labour and in everyday life.
Each birth is an opportunity for you to be greater, braver and more powerful than you ever thought possible.
"... But for me the most important benefit is meeting Uschi and talking to her, the way she sees pregnancy and childbirth contributed to my confidence and positive way of seeing the future way more than any books, articles or videos I've watched, and any other people I talked to."
In our 6 week* course you will learn about:
- the physiology of normal birth and impact of natural birth hormones
- labour companionship & comfort measures
- how believes & attitudes affect the experiences of birth
- working with contractions in labour in a positive way
- how to release fear and access your inner strength
- making informed choices about potential medical interventions
- human values & their impact on birth
- relaxation, pelvic floor awareness & bodywork
- nutrition & exercise during pregnancy
- role of the birth partner during birth
- healing past emotional trauma to facilitate normal birth
- breastfeeding & the effect on the brain
- Mother-Baby skin-to-skin
- postpartum care
- a comprehensive Childbirth Preparation Manual is included
* in 1-Day workshops or weekend workshops we will cover a selection of the topics above focusing on those that are most relevant for the couples participating on the day.
Our classes are for anyone preparing for birth, new parents, single mums and those with previous vaginal and cesarean birth experiences. All learn together, support and share with each other in the same class setting. You can join our classes at any stage of pregnancy. The earlier in pregnancy you attend the more time you give yourself to integrate and assimilate the information, explore and work on your beliefs and adopt healthy habits, that will benefit you and your baby throughout pregnancy, birth, and beyond.
Our Birth Philosophy:
- There is not one right way to give birth; each birth is unique.
- Every woman has the right to feel safe, supported and loved as she grows through pregnancy & birth into motherhood
- As women we have the knowledge of how to give birth, because birth is instinctive
- A woman births best where she feels safest & has ensured privacy
- A woman labors best if she can move freely
- A woman’s beliefs influence her birth. Exploring her beliefs heightens self-awareness, serving as a catalyst for positive change.
- The emotions of a birthing woman have profound effects on the birth outcome. Women must be allowed to express all their birth-related feelings.
- The practice of Human Values builds character and instills confidence in birth and life.
- While a cesarean section can be necessary at times, the current rate is too high.
- In most cases, VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) is a safer alternative to routine repeat cesareans.
- Practicing pelvic body work during pregnancy and understanding baby's pathway through the pelvis, facilitates an easier birth
- Expectant parents should have access to information they need about obstetrical procedures. They should participate in decisions regarding the judicious use of obstetrical medications and procedures.
" Each pregnancy each child born is a special opportunity for a woman to discover within herself greater strength as well as flexibility; greater power as well as surrender; greater compassion as well as detachment ... and above all a greater capacity to love."
Pam England (Birthing from Within)